Keep a close eye on developing sweetcorn. Once the silk tassels have turn brown, they should be ready for harvesting in about a week, depending on the weather.
To check the sweetcorn is ripe you need to peel back the outer layers of husks to reveal the kernels. Sometimes the kernels near the top of the ear of sweetcorn may not have developed, so it’s always worth checking further down the cob. Sometimes the ears of corn don’t get properly fertilised so not all of the kernels develop. The rest of the sweetcorn is still edible, just cut off the under developed part of the cob.
Use your thumbnail to puncture a kernel. If the liquid is translucent and milky then the sweetcorn is ready for harvesting. If it is still watery and clear then they are not yet ready and you need to replace the husks.
The first year I grow sweetcorn, I kept leaving the cobs thinking they weren’t ready. In fact it was just that the top kernels that had not developed properly. We ended up with over-ripe cobs which were rather dry!
Pick the cobs as close to when you are going to cook them as possible. Once picked, the sugar in the kernels turn rapidly to starch. They can easily go past their best in a day or two. This is the reason why it is worth growing your own, as shop ones just don’t taste as sweet!
Picked our first sweetcorn cobs of the season for our tea today. They were delicious. Sweet and juicy!
Picked my first ripe tomato today and ceremoniously ate it for lunch – it was delicious. The rest of the tomatoes are still looking very green though, so I have removed some of the leaves on the plants, to help them ripen.
The runner beans are not coping well in this hot weather and the beans are going to seed before they get the chance to grow. Have been watering them every few days, but all it does is keeps them alive, just!
The aphids are still a huge problem, making the plants look sick with curling up the leaves. The organic insecticide we used, I think, was ineffective – possibly been in the shed too long. Tried spraying some diluted Ecover washing-up liquid on the leaves yesterday, which may have helped, it’s difficult to tell. However, found some ladybird eggs on the underside of some of the leaves tonight, so am going to give the ladybird larvae a chance to eat the aphids before any more spraying. Spotted two ladybirds as well, one of which was spotless!
The runner beans are still not big enough to pick at the moment and I suspect they don’t like this heat. Unfortunatley they are severely infested with blackfly, even though I planted marigolds around the plants. Despite our best efforts we cannot seem to get rid of the blackfly by squashing them. Even spent an hour the other night hosing them off, only for them to return the following day. Have now resorted to using an organic insecticide, suitable for vegetables.
I discovered a lone ladybird on the beans tonight, the first seen this year – just need a few more to join him!
We are picking the climbing beans most days. They get placed in a bag in the freezer and kept for winter meals. They seem to freeze better than the runner beans, which seem to get a peculiar taste when frozen. Strangely these beans do not have any blackfly on the leaves at all. Even some runners planted in the same row have blackfly, but not the climbing beans.
This is what growing-your-own is all about!
The foliage on the earliest potatoes planted have started to flop. So, as they won’t be growing any more, I decided to start harvesting them. I leave them in the ground until needed and dig as required. I dug down carefully to avoid damaging the crop.
This is what came off the one root I dug up. The variety is Rocket, a first early potato. They were planted on 4 March this year, then followed the cold weather! I dug down to check on their progress at the beginning of April and the seed potato was just starting to sprout, so in effect they didn’t start growing until April. It remained cold through most of April so they have been growing for 14 weeks, much longer than in a normal year.
Gave them a quick scrub to remove the soil and then boiled with a sprig of mint. They didn’t take long to cook and you have to keep an eye on them or they suddenly start to break up. They tasted absolutely delicious, perhaps even more so because of the wait! From veg plot to plate in little more than half an hour, meant that the taste was captured, unlike the supermarket ‘new’ potatoes that have been hanging around in the warehouse for weeks.
The tomato plants in the greenhouse are looking healthy with plenty of flowers and I was pleased today to see the first tomatoes have set.
I planted out some Lollo Rossa lettuce seedlings today and of course, they need protecting from the slugs, snails and the pigeons.
To protect against the slugs and snails, I surround each plant with a good sprinkling of crushed egg shells.
Exciting times, runner beans went out today!
I know I should get a life, but for me it signifies the start of the summer growing season.
We emptied out the compost bin yesterday, dug a nice deep trench and filled with garden compost and chicken manure pellets.
There is something quite exciting about getting the tomatoes plants planted out – the thought of summer days and eating home grown salads, I suppose.
The tomato seedlings have grown so fast this week, thought it was time to pot them on.
At this time of year, when the sun is actually shining, it is incredibly strong. The temperature in the greenhouse rises rapidly and plants, young seedlings in particular, are vulnerable to scorching. I noticed yesterday that several of my seedlings have been burnt in the greenhouse. Fortunately I had already ordered some shade netting and thankfully it turned up today.